Thursday, August 30, 2007

The Herd Mentality

I took the 'late' bus to office today and am I thankful for that. I saw quite an interesting sight on the way. The bus takes the highway enroute to office and that was where I saw it. Around 100-150 vehicles, may be even more, trucks-cars-buses alike were traveling on the wrong side of the road in a single file just like kindergarten kids off for some excursion. My bus was on the correct side so I could see this and was really quite bemused!

What was the deal with everyone?

The traffic on the other side too was slow moving as half of their path was obstructed by this procession. Unable to resist my curiosity, I enquired with the driver who told me that there had been an accident on our side of the road some distance ahead at around 7 or 8 AM and everyone had found 'that' wrong detour as the fastest way to reach their destination.

How proud I was of the Indian 'jugaad'... The chaos on the highway plus the accident during rush hour must've resulted into quite a few disgruntled commuters.

But quite clearly there was no reason to follow that road any longer. The rubble or whatever was obstructing free movement of traffic seemed to have been removed. But then thanks to the herd mentality hoards of cars just set out following the one ahead without even thinking what they were doing. And it being an highway it was not possible to cross over to the correct side of the road after realising their folly. I'm quite shocked at how people could just blindly do something which was quite clearly not just a traffic violation but something very dangerous as well...

But I was happy, our bus cruised through the highway in record time, quite clearly our driver was a man of vision, who dared to set his foot against the herd. He didn't care about who was doing what and he just stuck to the basics and did the right thing. Enough of trash... He knew the accident had been cleared!

Quite clearly the imbalance of information, as Prof. Ghorpade used to put it, had worked in our favour!

Cheers!

No comments: