Saturday, June 16, 2007

Picasso

I've always wondered how people come up with all these specifications for a so very difficult thing like a haircut. I want it spiked, sloped, drizzly, this n that! I can understand when women do it. They're not wired the same way! Anyways... I had been to my friendly neighbourhood Barber-Man and almost everyone seems to be spitting out all these requirement specs!

Let me tell you my way of doing it... I just go n sit! End of story.

I let him have a free hand. No specifications. No nothing. It's like saying... My man, it's your lucky day have fun sculpting my hair! It's completely upto him to do whatever he wants to cut my hair. I seldom say anything.

Imagine someone like Picasso being told which/what exactly to paint. That confines the expertise of the artist. I bet his paintings wouldn't have been half as good if he would've had some idiot telling him continuously what he wants in the painting! Even after that there would've been complaints that it should've been this way or that way. And clients thinking all the while... Man, that Rembrandt guy was better than this punk!

Letting him have a free hand was the key.

That's what I do. I let the artist have a free scissor...

Usually barbers arent characters who are risk-takers by nature so he just gives me the guy-next-door haircut without questions. But if you're going to a hair-stylist... then you're in for some friendly banter until your next haircut! Coz this is a breed of people who're... strange... like fashion designers i guess...

I had my hair screwed up so badly by one such curious characters that I prefer barbers to hair-stylists!

Bottomline is I'm just happy with the work this lot has been churning out month after month at rock-bottom prices... Even though others may prefer calling my haircut is from the Picasso of mediocrity at the best!

Cheers!

2 comments:

Ninad Kulkarni said...

ok... a 100% yes .. i agree if you go to the friendly neighbourhood barber in India who has seen you from age 2 maybe.
But man, step a foot outside your country and you will know.
Once only once did I make the mistake of giving the barber a free hand in US and she gave me the haircut I would never forget or rather neone who noes me will never forget.
http://www2.uic.edu/stud_orgs/
cultures/igsa/board/images/
ninad.jpg
Here goes, a barbers free hand and btw I look cute according to the very friendly female

GT said...

Well... I have changed let me see...no less than 10 barbers over the last 24 years of my existence. And I dont hold loyalty to any particular one even now! It's like pick the one which has minimum waiting time kind of a thing.

I do agree that it might be a specific speciality of barbers from the country to silently whip out a decent haircut.

Never had the opportunity to have a haircut outside India. But I'm definitely gonna let him have a free hand atleast for a couple of occasions! That would be Picasso-II.

Btw no comments abt ur photo! ;)