Saturday, June 16, 2007

Law of Averages! - Part II

I had no intention of posting the second post of the night that too at around 12:30 AM. But it came as a special request from my really close buddy - Ninad Kulkarni. (I had thought of introducing him as my best friend but that sounded quite naive and it cant really do justice!) I have received his two cents in writing this post.

So here we go...

From a scientific point of view the law of averages probably has no firm footing. To expect that a future independent random event would depend on the outcome of previous events wouldn't be quite logical. I mean... the odds of getting a six on a die for the fourth time afer three conecutive sixes is as high getting one, four or five! But... somehow somewhere we just know that this run of good luck would be ending anytime, probably in the next throw itself. So psychologically we reduce the probability of scoring the fourth consecutive six and are pretty sure that it'll be anything but six!

So much for stupid science...

Now lets get down to serious stuff. I for one am an eternal optimist. No matter how bad the situation, no matter how tough things get I just know that I need to turn the corner and I'm back on track. I just believe that the rub of the green won't go against me for very long. Things will even out. If it's not for this attitude I think most would be sitting at home after having a bad day. But that's not how it is. We just know tomorrow is a new day and a chance to even things out.

We have a firm belief that the odds of things going wrong are actually going down with each failed attempt. The same ol' Failures are stepping stones towards Success funda!

And it almost everytime works... If you have a bad hair day, you'll be rewarded by a pretty face in the next cubicle. A broken down car might get you a lift from your boss with whom you can discuss issues which you never had a chance to discuss in office which ultimately results into better work! Who knows!

Ultimately everything evens out in the long run. What is needed is the patience to look at the bigger picture and not spend too long thinking about the broken down car, bad hair, workless day, bad moods of the better half! It doesnt even take a miracle to turn things around.

Get on with your life... Law of averages takes care of the rest!

Cheers!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

keep workin @ it..the second seemed more in context and more entertaining a read, with the math thrown in for good measure;)

GT said...

Wow! Look whose commented on my blog... Now this is a sign that I'm writing well... ;)

Cheers!