Sunday, July 08, 2007

Seedless Oranges

It's really amazing what research goes on in the world.

Recently I read an article in the newspaper about work being done to develop seedless oranges. I have no issues with what people work on. I mean they don't comment on how I'm wasting my life so why should I bother! But I couldn't help myself thinking about this one.

As per my understanding research is done so that some time in a near or distant future it would be of practical use to mankind at large. No matter if the research is in the field of face recognition or developing safer cars. Practical use should ideally be the aim of any research. Though some in the past have bordered on the boundaries of insanity and complete foolishness, case in point alchemy but still it was for practical use.

There are thousands working for cure on AIDS, vaccince for cancer, safer pesticides, higher nutrients in food etc etc. These are things that trouble and bother people. These things are going to make a significant difference in the existence of human race! It's obvious that what drives any form of research in it's true form is something personal. If a close friend is diagnosed by a disease then there is in general a feeling to do something about it or if you're really good at something you want others to reap the benefit of your knowledge and thank you each time they make use of your innovation.

But what obviously bothers some is those seeds in the oranges. I appreciate how troublesome they can be. I mean they're bitter if you chew them and that spoils the taste of the orange. So you have to be wide awake while eating an orange and spit them off. If they fall on the floor it takes some skill or good nails to lift them and dispose them off. As you can see the effects of having the seeds in the oranges are so catastrophic that nobody had attempted to waste their time over it for past god knows how many years! But not any longer... Seed-haters your prayers have been answered...

I got just one question... A serious doubt! What do you sow in order to get seedless oranges?

Cheers!

2 comments:

Nandita said...

Seedless dates as well....and these arent even cumbersome or irritating...though what really hets me rolling my eyes into my head is: Day 1: Scientists discover Milk prevents cancer...Day 23: New Research shows Milk is harmful for your kids....Day 197: Milk can make you fly!...and so on...

GT said...

Absolutely! Research is over-rated... :D