Wednesday, November 14, 2007

The child in Tamil Nadu

I dont have a problem with what people eat and even lesser issues with the quantity as long as I'm not made to eat that food or my appetite isn't measured against that measure of food. I'm not a rice eater. It's not like a rule but generally I prefer skipping rice or having it in rationed quantity.

But inspite of that the other day my plate was full of rice way beyond my capacity! I was as excited with the prospects of having to eat that much rice as probably anyone looking down the wrong end of the barrel. But I did manage to eat it somehow...

However that wasn't enough. My rice loving flat mates got into the argument how I eat less for some reason. It was in fact commented that "a kid in Tamil Nadu ate more rice than you (me)!!"

Now... if at all the kids in Tamil Nadu are eating that much rice there's something really wrong here. No wonder there is food shortage in our country and the people in the North are probably forced to eat wheat and other grains. And no, I for one dont believe it was a hyperbole because I've seen adults in Tamil Nadu eat rice and it's well within the reach of a kid in Tamil Nadu to beat me in a rice eating competition!

Somehow I'm not sad to lose this one...

Cheers!

No comments: