Thursday, November 08, 2007

Calling Names

In the past few days I've been giving a lot of introductions. That's usually the case at the start of a new assignment. I'm so-n-so working on this-n-that... blah blah blah. It's now got to the point that I get dejavu of having a dejavu!

I can almost predict how it's gonna go. If it's someone from our part of the world the first name isn't so much of a problem. The last name... well... at times! I've got used to it but my problem is with people who have 10-14 alphabets in their own name making faces or trying to act like they've been given a tongue twister and breaking my last name into 3 distinct parts and making the worst possible pronounciation and looking rather coy about it all. I cannot even begin to break their name into parts. I would refrain in giving specific examples because I really dont know who would read this post and who wouldn't but I would like to get my point across!

I wanted someone to mail me something. I told him my mail id and as usual he screwed around with the pronounciation. I knew him by a rather short 6 lettered name which he was referred to by. I receive a mail which had two words, neither less than 14 alphabets. I for one second thought it was a spam! The callout name was no where in the first or last name. I didn't even know how the hell am I supposed to read it. And this was the idiot who was trying to act smart.

I decided to get even. I called up after an hour or so and told him that I hadn't received his mail yet and asked him to step on it! He said he had mailed me and said the name which I should look for... I put on a show of surprise at this revelation! Point made.

On the other hand, in the case of those who're unaware of names or pronounciations in our part of the world the entertainment starts from the first name itself. We never really reach the last name part of it. Some time during a meeting tasks were being assigned to some 'Gandalf'. On further clarification it was revealed that I was the famous LOTR magician now working on something even more mysterious!!

But I get a lot of sympathy from those wonderful people from Eastern european and ex-USSR countries. I mean you gotta give it to them. Their names are a group of 9 consonants and not more than 1 vowel. That's creditable! I seriously think someone should buy a couple of vowels and gift them. I cant imagine how tough things must be for them...

But now after the introductions this name calling has pretty much stopped and even I've switched to a callout name but atleast it's obvious where it came from!

Cheers!

No comments: